Sunday, May 13, 2007

Hi Wendy,

Thanks for this update about Aunt Doris. It's wonderful that you are spending so much time tending to her care and well-being. She clearly enjoys the time together.

I too think of Doris as strong and strong willed - She had to be to manage all those horses, some of whom were pretty strong-willed themselves! I remember her in the barn, energetic, healthy, always trim despite all that cooking and baking she did, and tan from being outside. Perhaps, as you say, she has decided it's time to move on. I am doing some reading about hospice, in preparation for fundraising I'll be doing for a local hospice, and your description aligns with some of what I've read about the transition people go through as they prepare to die. It's a mysterious process, and I'm glad there are people like those taking care of Doris who understand more about it than I do.

Hearing about your mother makes me think of mine. I talked to her today, and she sounded content, as she usually does. It's not clear how much she really understands about what I say, though it's clear she knows me. It's good your mom knows you too.

Martha

No comments: